06 March 2012

Becoming A Solo Entrepreneur

I've been reading quite a few blogs lately and confused is half the problem. On one hand are those who swear money is tight, no one is buying and everything is in the toilet...then there are those who swear they are growing despite themselves, have found new clients and customers are easier to please.

Since December, I've reinvented my business to focus more on writing content for solo entrepreneurs. Here's the interesting thing for me: When I went from trying to 'learn everything there is to know' about professional writing, the clients found me.

Here's what I mean. You know how you're supposed to learn copywriting, marketing, blah, blah, whatever? Well I crashed and burned trying to learn all that stuff.

Sure, selling something is part of having your own business. But you don't have to be an expert copywriter (or hire one if you have deeper pockets than sense) nor do you have to know it all.

I remembered something Frank Kern said John Carlton told him about selling his first product and it was a 3 step process:
1. Here's what I got...whatever you're selling.
2. Here's what it will do for you....why a customer/client/prospect/patient will get from using/tasting/trying what you're selling.
3. Here's what I want you to do next...order it/taste it/try it or give me a way to tell you more about it.

That sounded good to me! Here's exactly what is on my content writing blog:
1. Article, blog or report writing available for your business from someone who is easy to work with.
2. Increase your search engine rankings organically with articles, build your brand expertise with custom reports and keep targeted leads coming back for more with relevant blog posts.
3. Here's my contact information or fill out the contact form about your
writing project.

Thank you

Does it work? Time will tell.
Currently out of 10 reviews of onsite writing samples, three prospects requested the 30-minute consultation and 7 raised their hands as targeted leads by accepting to be on my network list for future followup.

How many people slid through looking for $5/1000 word reports? About 100.
But that's awful! Not really when you consider my hourly rate is a bit north of $100US.

What do I send them as follow-up emails?
Glad you asked because it's the same thing I do here - give them information to help them do their jobs better. And when you operate as a solo, you do have
things to do - no matter what you call them...projects, tasks or navel gazing.