17 February 2006

Solo News

Hey Gang!
As you can see I changed the name of the blog. Quite a few of you want to start a homebased business and not on the internet. Great! I don't have all my eggs in one basket and neither should you.

I'm checking some links to make sure they work before they get uploaded. Like many of you--I'm not an internet techno whiz. Plus, I'm doing a bit of begging to a couple small business owners to get information interviews for you to get ideas in your own business. Will let you know how it's going in my next post.

Have you seen the sites with this is my online check/bank statement blah blah? Now ask yourself this: How many times has anyone asked to physically see verification of how much money you make except when getting a loan? or filing your taxes?

Not saying these folks are lying, but what makes them think you should believe them or even care? As far as I'm concerned - What they made online has no relation to what I MIGHT MAKE online! Stop with the see how much money I made shtick.

BOOK REVIEW
Title: 202 Ways to Supplement Your Retirement Income
Author Bio from Publisher: James Stephenson is an expert at helping others choose and run their dream businesses. He is author of six popular books, including 202 Things to Buy and Sell for Big Profits, 202 Service to Sell for Big Profits and Ultimate Startup Directory.
My Recommendation: Save Your Money - Book is over-priced at $19.95!
What really pissed me off about this book was the author has obviously never spoken to a real, live retiree. 90% of retirees are on a fixed income. If he had really done any serious research, telling them to buy a franchise or liquidated inventory is ridiculous.
  • Chapter 3 starts on page 37 - then runs another 26 pages. Get this - pages 38 to 64 is some kind of Business Description Worksheet. It doesn't take that long to write a full blown business plan. This is just a worksheet!?!
  • Chapter 6 begins with Everything Else You Need To Know. Here he goes into such enticing topics as Standing Behind Your Products, Cost Plus Pricing, Establishing Credit Terms and my personal favorite Inventory Management.

    Remember now--this is supposed to be for someone supplementing their retirement income! He eventually strolls into the 202 Ways in Chapter 7
    Don't look for any meat here either - there isn't any. Mid-page 136, he suggests being a Bed and Breakfast Host with this:
    If you have a big enough house...
    . I won't go into the rest but the bottom line is he refers you to a book on the subject printed 2004 in Entrepreneur Press, a B&B web site directory or two and the American Bed and Breakfast Association. Will this one chapter get you into this business? Honestly, no. What he nicely slides past anyone with $19.95 looking for real information is a real resource from real people operating a B&B. Ask an owner why don'tcha! How hard could finding one real person who runs a bed and breakfast be?

    Ok, my rant for this weekend is over. Please, if you really want to supplement your income, retirement or otherwise, leave this book at the library - don't spend money on it.

    Until next time, I'll leave you with this:
    Always be ready to walk away from a deal

    Charlie Coyle